Adventurous Ainsley decided to randomly buy oxtail when at the farmer’s market. At this point the Internet is able to tell us how to cook any spontaneous decisions. My grandmother passed and my mother doesn’t cook so the Internet is my food nonny/mother chef. Father cooks really well, but I’m six hours from him and his specialties involve potatoes and tortilla chips which are both off this mouth menu.
I mouth rave over the Internet’s value of having recipes for any diet.
We have cooking classes at our fingertips in both videos and extensively beautiful blog posts. So when searching for ox tail I found this amazing man’s YouTube video:
My recipe draws a lot from his. If it were a stick figure drawing he’d have drawn everything up to the circle head. The main difference is how we wind up cooking the oxtails and that mine is a single serve. If you want a full on family size go with his marinade and then come back to me for the slow cooking and broth making.
Oxtail is one of those mouth ripping flavors you will never forget and I recommend at least trying it twenty times in your life. The flavor is reminiscent of ribs but with a rougher texture. Since the meat really needs to be marinated and cooked slowly the flavor really seeps in to every delicious moment.
Oxtail is also loaded with delicious body and mind nutrients. It is rich in electrolytes like magnesium, sodium and potassium. Oxtail also reduces inflammation which is linked to depression and anxiety.
The best reason to nom this mouthful of earthenly soaked meat is because it is delicious and really fills you up. The nutrients in it are perfect for the human body and so you feel deeply satisfied in mouth, body, and mind.
Single Serve Slow Cooker Oxtail
1 lb Oxtail (try the local butcher or farmer’s market)
1 Lemon (optional)
2 Sprigs Thyme
2 Sprigs Rosemary
1/2 Teaspoon Cloves
1/2 Teaspoon Allspice
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Cup Avocado Oil (or safe olive oil)
1 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce or Coconut Aminos
1/4 Cup of Spring Onions, Chopped
1/2 of a Yellow Onion, Diced or Sliced
2 Garlic Cloves, Smashed
2 Sprigs of Thyme
Directions for Marinade:
- Place the oxtail in a large glass container or any container that can hold all of the ingredients (I’ve used a loaf pan before and covered it in foil).
- Squeeze lemon juice over the oxtail and discard or chop up the rind into some soda water with vodka.
- Add the spices to the meat and rub them in with your hands (fair warning: make sure there’s no soap left on your hands after washing or it will leave a soapy taste in your meat).
- Pour the oil over the oxtail and the the Worcestershire sauce or coconut aminos.
- Add the onions, garlic, and thyme.
- Let marinade in the fridge for about 24 hours or as long as you can.
Slow Cooking Ingredients
1 Tbs Oil
1/2 Cup Coffee or 1/4 cup Pure Cold Brew Coffee
(without any water added)
3/4 Cups Coconut Milk or Broth
Slow Cooking Directions
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Sear oxtail pieces on each side for two minutes.
- Put all of your marinade and the oxtail into a slow cooker.
- Pour in coffee or pure cold brew.
- Pour in coconut milk or broth.
- Cook on low for eight hours.
Marinade the Oxtail for 24 Hours:
Place in Slow Cooker:
Pour in Coffee and Broth or Coconut Milk
Cook on Low for Eight Hours
To Make Broth:
Once you’ve ripped all the meat from the bones go ahead and put them back in your slow cooker.
Add another sprig of thyme or two and cover with water until the bones are just covered.
Cook on low for 12 hours and then strain out the bones and freeze or store the broth.